24 March 2011

My Take on Food Inc.


Last night, my husband and I wanted to watch a movie.  My husband was browsing Netflix, when he came across a movie called, "Food, Inc."  It looked pretty interesting, considering we never really watch documentaries, especially on food!

Let me tell you, this movie was breathtaking.  

I can't believe all the secrets behind food.

First, I want to say that my family and I do NOT eat pork.  With all the growth hormones, antibiotics, steroids, and additives, it's not safe!  

After watching this movie, we were awed that chicken, beef, some seafood, and even our vegetable stock is tainted with all the aforementioned!  

It's completely disgusting that our food supply is not important anymore.  It's just a mere branch of politics nowadays.

People are getting fat.  People are getting lazy.  People are evolving into reliant additive addicts.

I bought a bag of fruit snacks today, thinking that they were pretty healthy.  I actually took the time to read the label before I ate them, and saw that THEY WERE NOT REAL.  Everything is from cheap-o corn, and genetically modified crap.

I feel really bad that I have been feeding my husband, let alone my 2 year old son junk.  Fake food.  

Well, today my husband and I decided to make a change.  I mean, we can't change everything, but we'll try!

Today, we went to a Farmer's Market and we checked out some of the stands.  There is this place where we can order homegrown fruits and vegetables online, and pick them up at the market.  It's really cheap, and it is completely organic.  We are really excited.

Also, we have started a garden.  Here is what we planted:
  • 12 Artichoke Plants
  • 2 Broccoli Plants
  • 2 Garden Bean Plants
  • 2 Okra Plants
  • 4 Tomato Plants
  • 6 Jalapeno Plants
  • 6 Corn Plants
We are also going to save some extra money to get some hormone-free meat.  It's a little more expensive, but if we buy in bulk we can save $$$.  

I'm glad I got to share this information, my husband and I learned a lot about the food industry.  We learned that even though supermarkets carry over 47,000 products, there are only a handful of manufacturers that produce these goods.  

From now on, we are supporting local growers, and trying to stay away from all of the additional fillers in food that promote human inactivity and addiction!

Please leave some comments, let me know how you feel about this stuff!

No comments: